Key information re the Restoration of the Cathedral from the Amazing Cathedral website
The photos of the Christchurch Cathedral, taken from a helicopter at 500 feet just two months ago show a new perspective of the Cathedral, which most Cantabrians have never seen.
• They support reputable New Zealand and international engineering opinion that the cathedral is far from a ‘ruin’ and can be safely repaired and restored to the highest code required for public buildings.
• After insurance receipts and private funding are included there will be no need for any ratepayers’ contribution.
• The Christchurch Cathedral is one of New Zealand’s most important Category One Historic Buildings. It can be restored for a cost effective sum of around $67 million within 5-7 years.
• No replacement Cathedral will be able to match the character and substance of this restored icon for a similar cost.
• We have lost a lot of our heritage buildings in Christchurch and any of those left, which we are reasonably able to save we should certainly do so.
• We owe it to our courageous forebears who built the Cathedral, as well as to future generations, to do all we can to restore this iconic building.
• The people of Christchurch have established an emotional commitment to this historic, cultural and religious heart of our city. Tourists have been drawn to the central city square for years to enjoy the backdrop of images featuring the Christchurch Cathedral and its remarkable character.
• We hope that Bishop Victoria and the Church Property Trustees will reconsider their opposition to restoration. If they do so, the restoration could start immediately.
• The GCBT will be willing to take responsibility for raising the remaining funds required for restoration.
Click here to vote on the Press Poll – save the Cathedral
Don’t forget to like them on their Facebook Page